Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Kiwi Ingenuity
One of my duties today was to re-anchor a trampoline that floats in the pond. The trampoline usually ties to anchors at the bottom of the pond, but the ropes had broken over time and it was floating freely. I was thinking that someone might have to dive down and re-attach new ropes to fix this, but apparently what they do here is just keep throwing in more and more anchors. Keep in mind that the word anchor here doesn't mean a typical T-shaped boat anchor. The only requirement in New Zealand for something to be an anchor is for it to be really heavy. I started asking them about the different anchors they have used in the past and my favorite was this: They bought a massive diesel generator to power the entire camp in preparation for Y2K (aka the end of the world), and when nothing happened on January 1st the generator got put into storage. ...until the trampoline came loose and they needed another anchor. Down it went! Its the logical thing to do, right? They call it Kiwi Ingenuity. Gotta love it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Haha! That is probably one of the best things I have ever heard. I wonder, do they use duck tape for a lot of things as well?
ReplyDeleteThat is hilarious! :) Thanks for keeping us updated!!
ReplyDelete